Dimitri Fontaine <dimi...@2ndquadrant.fr> writes:
> Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> Why is there a variadic replace() in this patch at all?  It seems just
>> about entirely unrelated to the stated purpose of the patch, as well
>> as being of dubious usefulness.

> It used not to being exposed at the SQL level, but just an internal loop
> in pg_execute_sql_file() when using the placeholders enabled
> variant. Then Itagaki wanted me to expose internals so that he basically
> can implement the logics in SQL directly.  It seems like we went a step
> too far in exposing this facility too.  Agreed in removing it at the SQL
> level.

Well, actually, my next question was going to be about removing the
variadic substitution in pg_execute_string too.  It's not apparent to me
that that function should have a rather lame substitution mechanism
hard-wired into it, when you can do the same thing with replace() in
front of it.

On the whole I'd prefer not to have any substitution functionality
hard-wired into pg_execute_file either, though I can see the argument
that it's necessary for practical use.  Basically I'm concerned that
replace-equivalent behavior is not going to be satisfactory over the
long run: I think eventually we're going to need to think about
quoting/escaping behavior.  So I think it's a bad idea to expose the
assumption that it'll be done that way at the SQL level.