On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
>> Another option that might be workable (but I have reservations, and
>> haven't tested it either) is to check whether the return value of
>> getppid() is equal to 1.  If it's neither 1 nor PostmasterPid then try
>> kill().
>
> I like that better actually ... one less thing for developers to get wrong.

The attached patch appears to work correctly on MacOS X.  I did check,
BTW: getppid() in the attached process returns gdb's pid.  Poor!

For my own purposes, I would be just as happy to apply this only to
master.  But I wonder if anyone wants to argue for back-patching, to
help debug existing installations?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company