The only data we can't rebuild it's the heap. So what about an option for
UNlogged indexes on a LOGged table? It would always preserve data, and it would
'only' cost a rebuilding of the indexes in case of an unclean shutdown. I think
it would give a boost in performance for all those cases where the IO
(especially random IO) is caused by the indexes, and it doesn't look too
complicated (but maybe I'm missing something).

I proposed the unlogged to logged patch (BTW has anyone given a look at it?)
because we partition data based on a timestamp, and we can risk loosing the
last N minutes of data, but after N minutes we want to know data will always be
there, so we would like to set a partition table to 'logged'.

Leonardo