On 04/28/2011 12:15 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

I'd suggest adjusting the elog.h declarations to use gnu_printf only on
Windows, and printf elsewhere, for the moment.  Maybe we can migrate
towards using gnu_printf on other platforms later.

Yeah. In fact, if I adjust most of the format specs to gnu_printf I now get exactly five warnings on MinGW64 (down from about 600). All the 64 bit int format warnings and their cascaded effects dissolve, along with the %m warnings.

What I'm thinking of doing is to set up something like:

   #define PG_PRINTF_CHECK __printf__

and on Windows redefine it to __gnu_printf__, and then set all the formats to use PG_PRINTF_CHECK.

Sound OK?

cheers

andrew