On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvhe...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of vie may 06 23:25:09 -0300 2011:
>> >
>> > I tried to follow your suggestion, thank you very much.
>>
>> I have to admit I don't like this approach very much.  I can't see
>> adding 4 bytes to every commit record for this feature.
>
> Hmm, yeah.  Maybe we can add a "flags" int8 somewhere in that struct and
> set a bit in it if nrels, nsubxacts, nmsgs and respective arrays are present.
> That would save some int's that are already in there.

Yes, that seems like a very appealing approach.  There is plenty of
bit-space available in xinfo, and we could reserve a bit each for
nrels, nsubxacts, and nmsgs, with set meaning that an integer count of
that item is present and clear meaning that the count is omitted from
the structure (and zero).  This will probably require a bit of tricky
code reorganization so I think it should be done separately from the
main patch.  With that done, then it's not a big deal for the main
patch to add in one more array that will normally get omitted.  And in
the process, we can save 12 bytes on every commit record in the common
case, which is quite appealing: I don't expect a huge performance
gain, but a penny saved is a penny earned.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company