> I rather like Tom's suggestion of include_if_exists.

include_if_exists certainly solves the recovery.conf/recovery.done problem.  We
can even phase it out, like this:

9.2: include_if_exists = 'recovery.conf' in the default postgresql.conf file.
9.3: include_if_exists = 'recovery.conf' commented out by default
9.4: renaming recovery.conf to recovery.done by core PG code removed.

This gives users/vendors 3 years to update their scripts to remove dependence
on recovery.conf.  I'm afraid that I agree with Simon that there's already a
whole buncha 3rd-party code out there to support the current system.

--Josh Berkus