Well, I was overthinking the question of why rangetypes sometimes fails
with

  select count(*) from test_range_gist where ir << int4range(100,500);
! ERROR:  input range is empty

Turns out that happens whenever auto-analyze has managed to process
test_range_gist before we get to this part of the test.  jaguar
is more likely to see this because CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS slows down the
rangetypes code to a really staggering extent, but obviously it can
happen anywhere.  If the table has been analyzed, then the
most_common_values array for column ir will consist of
                {empty}
which is entirely correct since that value accounts for 16% of the
table.  And then, when mcv_selectivity tries to estimate the selectivity
of the << condition, it applies range_before to the empty range along
with the int4range(100,500) value, and range_before spits up.

I think this demonstrates that the current definition of range_before is
broken.  It is not reasonable for it to throw an error on a perfectly
valid input ... at least, not unless you'd like to mark it VOLATILE so
that the planner will not risk calling it.

What shall we have it do instead?