On 12/09/2011 03:11 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  wrote:
This is apparently an optimization bug in the compiler. If I turn
optimization off (CFLAGS=-O0) it goes away. Ick.

So at the moment I'm a bit blocked. I can't really file a bug because the
compiler can't currently be used to build postgres, I don't have time to
construct a self-contained test case, and I don't want to commit changes to
enable the compiler until the issue is solved.
If we're talking about adding support for a previously-unsupported
configuration, it seems to me that it would be fine to commit a patch
that made everything work, but for the compiler bug.  We could refrain
from stating that we officially support that configuration until the
compiler bug is fixed, or even document the existence of the bug.  We
can't be responsible for other people's broken code, but I don't
necessarily see that as a reason not to commit a prerequisite patch.
Otherwise, as you say, there's a chicken-and-egg problem, and who does
that help?

Yeah, fair enough. I'll work on that.

cheers

andrew