On 04/15/2012 12:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Where I think we have been fooling ourselves is in failing to tell
the difference between a patch that is committable in the current fest,
versus one that is still WIP and is going to need more development time.

I wonder if this bit of state might be worth extending the UI to include. Just a little toggle box with the options "WIP" and "Commit Submission" there. [I am unattached to those particular terms]

I think everyone is clear that Command Triggers is an example that reflects a more general problem seen many times before; I'll continue using it as a fresh example here without meaning to pick on Dimitri in particular. If Dimitri had submitted that in January while ticking "Commit Submission", it might have sparked a talk about the difference in expectations earlier. If we use Robert as the bad guy watching the CF progress (again, just as an example, not trying to paint him with that title), I think it would have been easier for him to write an e-mail like this:

"It's March now, and this feature has been under heavy review and development for 6 weeks. This looks more like a WIP feature to me, not one that arrived as a Commit Submission. Is there any useful subset to consider instead?"

Compared to the current way such things happen, that's a more factual style of message without as much emotion or judging, and one that can be raised much earlier in the CF cycle. I think it will be easier for people to write those, compared with having to be the person saying "this isn't ready to commit" only at the end.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD