On 04/07/2012 11:03 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  writes:
On 04/07/2012 06:33 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
I hope that that policy will not be applied without some degree of
discrimination.
If we are to have time based releases, then I assume it won't, it will
be pretty much a hard and fast rule.
I admit I haven't been a fan in the past, but I can see advantages, not
least being predictability of release times. It would be nice to be able
to say "In June" when asked when the next release will be, as I often am.
Just to be clear ... I don't believe that we can have hard-and-fast
*release* dates.  I am suggesting that it might be a good idea to have
a hard deadline for committing new features.  But beta test phase will
take however long it takes.  I don't think shaking out bugs is a
predictable process.

I agree, but I think the release date will be much closer to being predictable if we chop off the last commitfest more rigorously. But time will tell.

cheers

andrew