On 05/23/2012 11:36 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:

Do you feel I can attempt to address this problem with some prototypes and
discuss here after few days when I have some results ready.

I don't think there is a clear picture yet of what benchmark to use for testing changes here. Items like "Consider adding buffers the background writer finds reusable to the free list" have been on the TODO list since 2007; neither ideas nor code are the problem here. Proving that a) a new policy helps on some workloads and b) it doesn't harm any important workload, those are the hard parts here.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD