* Hannu Krosing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020802 06:32]:
> Your argument can as well be used against VIEWs - whats the point of
> having them, when they can trivially be implemented using ON XXX DO
> INSTEAD rules.

Well, at least on PostgreSQL it makes a difference.  We allow views to
have permissions granted to them independent of the underlying tables.
It a nice , distinguishing feature.  What other database allows you
to grant one person access to a subset of the colums of a table as
well as a subset of the rows?