On 10/06/2012 03:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
"David E. Wheeler" <da...@justatheory.com> writes:
On Oct 5, 2012, at 6:12 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Now, having said that, I think it has to be the reponsibility of the FDW
to apply any required check ... which makes this a bug report against
oracle_fdw, not the core system.  (FWIW, contrib/file_fdw depends on the
COPY code, which will check encoding.)
I agree that this is a bug in oracle_fdw (well, potentially; ultimately, it’s
Oracle that’s lying about the encoding of those text values). But I think that
it would be much more useful overall -- not to mention more database-like --
for PostgreSQL to provide a way to enforce it. That is, to consider foreign
tables to be an input like COPY or SQL, and to validate values before
displaying them.
It is the FDW's responsibility to deal with this.  We expect it to hand
back valid tuples; it is not reasonable to disassemble them looking for
mistakes (and we couldn't catch most mistakes, anyway).  If the
interface were defined in terms of text, we could do checking above the
FDW level ... but it isn't.

Exactly.

We've done quite a lot of work tightening the ways that badly encoded data can enter the database over the years. It's a never ending game of whack-a-mole. There aren't any easy answers.

cheers

andrew