On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > So are you calling for a vote or just willing to ask for one?  I vote for
> > putting it in contrib and letting whoever wants it apply it and use it.
>
> The trouble with putting it in contrib is that that makes it effectively
> unavailable to anyone who installs from RPMs, or otherwise doesn't build
> from source for themselves.  Putting a patch diff in contrib is a bad
> idea anyway since the patch will suffer bit-rot in no time, as the
> referenced files change.

RPMs aren't a good enough reason to put it in.  All features aren't
installed in an RPM, why would this need to?   Besides, anything that
is runtime configurable can end up getting its default changed on a
whim.  Then again as long as 7.2.1 is stable enough for me there's
no reason to upgrade 'cuze I damn sure ain't going back and changing
all sorts of programs and scripts that have global users.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
      http://www.camping-usa.com      http://www.cloudninegifts.com
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com