On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Having read bits and pieces of this thread, can those in favour
> > confirm that this would be an effect of this patch?
>
> I think Vince is talking through his hat.  The proposed flag wouldn't
> ever be enabled by default.  If someone did turn it on in their
> installation "on a whim", they'd soon turn it off again if they didn't
> like the effects.  I do not see much difference between the above
> argument and arguing "we shouldn't have i18n support, because if I
> turned it on on a whim I wouldn't be able to read my error messages".
>
> Once again: *no one* has at any time suggested that any form of this
> patch should affect the default behavior in the slightest.

Not yet they haven't.  What happens when it's decided that this
*feature* is a good thing and should be the default?   Maybe not
now, but can you guarantee that that won't happen in say 7.4?  Or
maybe 8.0?  I can hear it now, "Well we're giving you an entire
version to change your scripts".

There's not even a concensus that this is the right way to do it,
you even said you'd prefer it was implemented in another way but
don't have the time to do it.  Since when does this group rush to
stuff features in without agreement even on HOW to implement it?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
      http://www.camping-usa.com      http://www.cloudninegifts.com
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com