On 16/01/13 08:04, David Fetter wrote:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 07:52:56PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
On 01/14/2013 07:36 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
While testing this I noticed that integer based 'get' routines are
zero based -- was this intentional?  Virtually all other aspects of
SQL are 1 based:

postgres=# select json_get('[1,2,3]', 1);
  json_get
----------
  2
(1 row)

postgres=# select json_get('[1,2,3]', 0);
  json_get
----------
  1
(1 row)
Yes. it's intentional. SQL arrays might be 1-based by default, but
JavaScript arrays are not. JsonPath and similar gadgets treat the
arrays as zero-based. I suspect the Json-using community would not
thank us for being overly SQL-centric on this - and I say that as
someone who has always thought zero based arrays were a major design
mistake, responsible for countless off-by-one errors.
Perhaps we could compromise by making arrays 0.5-based.

Cheers,
David.
I think that is far to rational, perhaps the reciprocal of the golden ratio(0.618033...) would be more appropriate?

I used to be insistent that arrays should start with 1, now I find starting at 0 far more natural - because evrytime you start an array at 1, the computer has to subtract 1 in order to calculate the entry. Also both Java & C are zero based.

I first learnt FORTRAN IV which is 1 based, had a shock when I was learning Algol and found it was 0 based - many moons ago...

Cheers,
Gavin