Daniel Farina <dan...@heroku.com> writes:
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think it's smarter for us to ship functions, and let users wrap them
>> in operators if they so choose.  It's not difficult for people who

> The problem being: even though pg_operator resolves to functions in
> pg_proc, they have distinct identities as far as the planner is
> concerned w.r.t selectivity estimation and index selection.

Yeah, this is surely not a workable policy unless we first move all
those planner smarts to apply to functions not operators.  And rewrite
all the index AM APIs to use functions not operators, too.  Now this is
something that's been a wish-list item right along, but actually doing
it has always looked like a great deal of work for rather small reward.