On 1/10/13 6:42 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
This updated patch contains all the intended functionality, including
operators for the json_get_path functions, so you can say things like

     select jsonval->array['f1','0','f2] ...
I would like to not create any -> operators, so that that syntax could
be used in the future for method invocation or something similar (it's
in the SQL standard).

This is the first time I have heard that we should stay away from this. We have operators with this name in hstore, which is why I chose it.

Have we officially deprecated '->'? I know we deprecated "=>", but I simply don't recall anything about '->'.

I also don't find the proposed use to be very intuitive.  You invented
lots of other function names -- why not invent a few more for this
purpose that are clearer?

I'm happy to take opinions about this, and I expected some bikeshedding, but your reaction is contrary to everything others have told me. Mostly they love the operators.

I guess that '~>' and '~>>' would work as well as '->' and '->>'.

cheers

andrew