On 04/04/13 05:30, Tom Lane wrote:
Zero as the default lower bound is consistent with most languages
(especially the common ones like C, C++, Java, & Python), in fact
I don't remember any language where that is not the case (ignoring
SQL) - and I've written programs in about 20 languages.
Fortran ... Basic ... actually I'd have thought that zero was a
minority position.  Fashions change I guess.

                        regards, tom lane
I had forgotten the indexing in BASIC & FORTRAN, I now recall COBOL's TABLE's were equivalent to arrays and they started at one.

Cheers,
Gavin