Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> To avoid this, a table having a minmax index would be
>> configured so that inserts only go to the page(s) at the end of the table;
>> this
>> avoids frequent invalidation of ranges in the middle of the table.  We
>> provide
>> a table reloption that tweaks the FSM behavior, so that summarized pages are
>> not candidates for insertion.

> We haven't had an index type which modifies table insertion behavior
> before, and I'm not keen to start now; imagine having two indexes on the
> same table each with their own, conflicting, requirements.

I agree; such a restriction is a nonstarter for a secondary index.  I
don't believe that hacking the FSM would be sufficient to guarantee the
required behavior, either.

We've talked a lot about index-organized tables in the past.  How much
of the use case for this would be subsumed by a feature like that?