On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, what I know almost all use utf8 without problems. Long time I didn't
>> see any request for multi encoding support.
>
> Well, not *everything* can be represented as UTF-8; I think this is
> particularly an issue with Asian languages.

What cannot be represented as UTF-8? UTF-8 can represent every
character in the Unicode character set, whereas UTF-16 can encode
characters 0 to 0x10FFFF.

Does support for alternative multi-byte encodings have something to do
with the Han unification controversy? I don't know terribly much about
this, so apologies if that's just wrong.

--
Peter Geoghegan