On 04/12/13 19:49, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On 12/4/13, 11:22 AM, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
Would it be well-received a new file format that keeps it simple for
both hand editing and generation of the configuration, and at the same
time offers the features I have mentioned?

I don't see how that would work exactly: You want to add various kinds
of complex metadata to the configuration file, but make that metadata
optional at the same time.  The immediate result will be that almost no
one will supply the optional metadata, and no tools will be able to rely
on their presence.

I wouldn't say the metadata is "complex". Looks quite familiar to that of pg_settings (besides that, it was just a brainstorming, not a formal proposal).

The optional fields are basically NULLABLE attributes in pg_settings. That is, they only make sense depending on other values (in this case, the parameter name). All of the attributes that are required for tools to work are marked as non optional.

So optional fields are either purely optional (i.e., only for tools that want to use them; everyone else may ignore, but preserve, them) and some other are just NULLABLEs, depending on the parameter).

In any case, my idea is just to open up the question and search for the best possible set of data to be represented, and then, the best possible syntax / file format for it.

        aht

--
Álvaro Hernández Tortosa