On 12/13/13 1:49 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:

<mailto:fabriziome...@gmail.com>> writes:
 > > I think the goal of the "make_date/time/timestamp" function series is build
 > > a date/time/timestamp from scratch, so the use of 'make_timestamptz' is to
 > > build a specific timestamp with timezone and don't convert it.
 >
 > Yeah; we don't really want to incur an extra timezone rotation just to get
 > to a timestamptz.  However, it's not clear to me if make_timestamptz()
 > needs to have an explicit zone parameter or not.  It could just assume
 > that you meant the active timezone.

+1. And if you want a different timezone you can just set the 'timezone' GUC.

Why wouldn't we have a version that optionally accepts the timezone? That
mirrors what you can currently do with a cast from text, and having to set the
GUC if you need a different TZ would be a real PITA.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net