On 12/24/2013 05:09 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
Yeah.  The alternatives seem to be:

1. Change a lot of regression tests.  This would be a serious PITA,
not so much for the one-time cost as for every time we needed to
back-patch a regression test that includes explain output.  -1.

2. Don't display the planning time by default, necessitating a new
PLANNING_TIME ON option.  This has backwards compatibility to
recommend it, but not much else.

3. Let COSTS OFF suppress it.

Another option would be to not display it by default, but make VERBOSE
show it.  However, I think making it controlled by COSTS is a better
fit.

After some thinking COSTS OFF really seems to be the best option. I have changed this in the patch and will submit a patch with updated documentation as soon as I get the time. Adding "Planning time" to all explain outputs (only 37 of them) in the documentation should not clutter anything too much.

--
Andreas Karlsson