On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would be nice to have better operating system support for this.
>> For example, IIUC, 64-bit Linux has 128TB of address space available
>> for user processes.  When you clone(), it can either share the entire
>> address space (i.e. it's a thread) or none of it (i.e. it's a
>> process).  There's no option to, say, share 64TB and not the other
>> 64TB, which would be ideal for us.  We could then map dynamic shared
>> memory segments into the shared portion of the address space and do
>> backend-private allocations in the unshared part.  Of course, even if
>> we had that, it wouldn't be portable, so who knows how much good it
>> would do.  But it would be awfully nice to have the option.
>
> You can map a segment at fork time, and unmap it after forking. That
> doesn't really use RAM, since it's supposed to be lazily allocated (it
> can be forced to be so, I believe, with PROT_NONE and MAP_NORESERVE,
> but I don't think that's portable).
>
> That guarantees it's free.

It guarantees that it is free as of the moment you unmap it, but it
doesn't guarantee that future memory allocations or shared library
loads couldn't stomp on the space.

Also, that not-portable thing is a bit of a problem.  I've got no
problem with the idea that third-party code may be platform-specific,
but I think the stuff we ship in core has got to work on more or less
all reasonably modern systems.

> Next, you can map shared memory at explicit addresses (linux's mmap
> has support for that, and I seem to recall Windows did too).
>
> All you have to do, is some book-keeping in shared memory (so all
> processes can coordinate new mappings).

I did something like this back in 1998 or 1999 at the operating system
level, and it turned out not to work very well.  I was working on an
experimental research operating system kernel, and we wanted to add
support for mmap(), so we set aside a portion of the virtual address
space for file mappings.  That region was shared across all processes
in the system.  One problem is that there's no guarantee the space is
big enough for whatever you want to map; and the other problem is that
it can easily get fragmented.  Now, 64-bit address spaces go some way
to ameliorating these concerns so maybe it can be made to work, but I
would be a teeny bit cautious about using the word "just" to describe
the complexity involved.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company