On 01/10/2014 01:58 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
On 01/10/2014 01:27 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
See commits 94133a935414407920a47d06a6e22734c974c3b8 and
908ab80286401bb20a519fa7dc7a837631f20369.
OK, I can fix that I guess.
Sure, just remove the DESCR comments for the functions that aren't meant
to be used directly.

I don't think this is back-patchable, but it's a minor point, so at least
for me a fix in HEAD is sufficient.

I wonder whether we should add an opr_sanity test verifying that operator
implementation functions don't have their own comments?  The trouble is
that there are a few that are supposed to, but maybe that list is stable
enough that it'd be okay to memorialize in the expected output.

Well, that would be ok as long as there was a comment in the file so that developers don't just think it's OK to extend the list (it's a bit like part of the reason we don't allow shift/reduce conflicts - if we allowed them people would just keep adding more, and they wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.)

The comment in the current test says:

   -- Check that operators' underlying functions have suitable comments,
   -- namely 'implementation of XXX operator'.  In some cases involving
   legacy
   -- names for operators, there are multiple operators referencing the
   same
   -- pg_proc entry, so ignore operators whose comments say they are
   deprecated.
   -- We also have a few functions that are both operator support and
   meant to
   -- be called directly; those should have comments matching their
   operator.

The history here is that originally I was intending to have these functions documented, and so the descriptions were made to match the operator descriptions, so that we didn't get a failure on this test. Later we decided not to document them as part of last release's bike-shedding, but the function descriptions didn't get changed / removed.

cheers

andrew