On Jan14, 2014, at 11:06 , David Rowley <dgrowle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a patch which removes sum(numeric) and changes the documents a little
> to remove a reference to using sum(numeric) to workaround the fact that
> there's no inverse transitions for sum(float). I also made a small change in
> the aggregates.sql tests to check that the aggfnoid <= 9999.

I've looked over the patch, here a few comments.

For STRICT pairs of transfer and inverse transfer functions we should complain
if any of them ever return NULL. That can never be correct anyway, since a
STRICT function cannot undo a non-NULL -> NULL transition.

The same goes for non-STRICT, at least if we ever want to allow an inverse
transfer function to indicate "Sorry, cannot undo in this case, please rescan".
If we allowed NULL as just another state value now, we couldn't easily undo
that later, so we'd rob ourselves of the obvious way for the inverse transfer
function to indicate this condition to its caller.

The notnullcount machinery seems to apply to both STRICT and non-STRICT
transfer function pairs. Shouldn't that be constrained to STRICT transfer
function pairs? For non-STRICT pairs, it's up to the transfer functions to deal
with NULL inputs however they please, no?

The logic around movedaggbase in eval_windowaggregates() seems a bit
convoluted. Couldn't the if be moved before the code that pulls aggregatedbase
up to frameheadpos using the inverse aggregation function?

Also, could we easily check whether the frames corresponding to the individual
rows are all either identical or disjoint, and don't use the inverse transfer
function then? Currently, for a frame which contains either just the current
row, or all the current row's peers, I think we'd use the inverse transfer
function to fully un-add the old frame, and then add back the new frame.

best regards,
Florian Pflug