On 03/02/14 02:44, Tomas Vondra wrote:
(2) The question is whether the new patch works fine on rare words. See
     this for comparison of the patches against HEAD:

       http://www.fuzzy.cz/tmp/gin/3-rare-words.png
       http://www.fuzzy.cz/tmp/gin/3-rare-words-new.png

     and this is the comparison of the two patches:

       http://www.fuzzy.cz/tmp/gin/patches-rare-words.png

     That seems fine to me - some queries are slower, but we're talking
     about queries taking 1 or 2 ms, so the measurement error is probably
     the main cause of the differences.

(3) With higher numbers of frequent words, the differences (vs. HEAD or
     the previous patch) are not that dramatic as in (1) - the new patch
     is consistently by ~20% faster.
Just thinking, this is about one algorithm is being better or frequent words
and another algorithm being better at rare words... we do have
this information (at least or tsvector) in the statistics, would
it be possible to just call the "consistent" function more often if the
statistics gives signs that it actually is a frequent word?

Jesper - heavily dependent on tsvector-searches, with both frequent and rare words.