On 03/15/2014 05:59 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
What about adding new option into pg_resetxlog so that we can
reset the pg_control's backup start location? Even after we've
accidentally entered into the situation that you described, we can
exit from that by resetting the backup start location in pg_control.
Also this option seems helpful to salvage the data as a last resort
from the corrupted backup.

Yeah, seems reasonable. After you run pg_resetxlog, there's no hope that the backup end record would arrive any time later. And if it does, it won't really do much good after you've reset the WAL.

We probably should just clear out the backup start/stop location always when you run pg_resetxlog. Your database is potentially broken if you reset the WAL before reaching consistency, but if forcibly do that with "pg_resetxlog -f", you've been warned.

- Heikki