On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:24:21PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 02:26:50PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > >
> > > You're forgetting ... sharding/replication over multiple masters.
> > >
> > > Also, the id should be a text value so that folks can use hash keys, or
> > > whatever.
> >
> > We should totally have a type "uuidserial".
>
> Something like it, certainly.  One thing SQL Server does right is to
> have an opaque identity column, for which UUID would do an admirable
> job.  We would need to build UUID functionality in, and I don't see
> this as a hard task.  Should I draft it up as a self-contained
> extension?

So I did a little research, and it appears that there's a part of
util-linux that does UUIDs and is available under the 3-clause BSDL.
It only does time- and urandom-based UUIDs, but that's probably a
better start than nothing.

Is there any good reason not to roll native UUID generation into our
standard distribution?

Cheers,
David.
--