On 04/24/2014 08:00 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:

This is not our fault, and I don't want us to get caught up in trying
to fix a fundamentally broken concept --- which is what a generic
"uuidserial" API would be.  If you try to paper over the difficulties
here, they'll just bite you on the rear someday.

But we have non-colliding generation technology for OIDs in system
catalogs.  We could try to reuse the idea in a UUID generator: grab one
value, try to insert; if it fails generate a new one, lather, rinse,
repeat.

Umm, UUID stands for Universally Unique IDentifier. That would hardly be *universally* unique.

- Heikki