Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> > >But we have non-colliding generation technology for OIDs in system
> > >catalogs.  We could try to reuse the idea in a UUID generator: grab one
> > >value, try to insert; if it fails generate a new one, lather, rinse,
> > >repeat.
> >
> > Umm, UUID stands for Universally Unique IDentifier. That would
> > hardly be *universally* unique.
>
> I don't understand your point.  I'm only replying to Tom's assertion
> that UUID generation might not be all that unique after all (or, in
> other words, AIUI, that the "universally unique" part of the name is
> wishful thinking and not an actual property of the real thing.)

Oh, I think I see your point: it's that no matter what we do here, there
would be no way to guarantee that a value we generate does not collide
with any other value elsewhere (either on other uuidserial columns, or
on other servers).

Is that it?

Because if it is, then I think the problem is that the UUID concept
might be flawed yet users still want to use it, and we do no service by
refusing to provide it on those grounds.

Now I certainly don't want my rear bitten more than it already is,
anyway.