On 04/21/2014 07:51 AM, Воронин Дмитрий wrote:
I put patch generated on git diffs to this letter. I make an a thread in
postgresql commit fest:

Thanks for the patch, it seems like a useful feature.

=== General ===

- Applies cleanly to HEAD and compiles without warnings.

- The test suite passes.

- x509v3 support was added in OpenSSL 0.9.2 and sslinfo already depends heavily on OpenSSL so no new dependencies.

=== User functionality ===

- If you are a user of the sslinfo extension the new functions should be useful additions.

- I tested the code without SSL, with certificate but without client certificate, with client certificates first without extensions and the with. All of this worked fine except for some usability which could be improved, see below.

- I cannot see the use for ssl_get_count_of_extensions(). When would anyone need to know the number of extensions? I think this is an implementation detail of OpenSSL which we do not need to expose. If any user wants this feature he can count the extension names.

- Documentation is missing for the new functions.

- I think the names of the new functions should be change. Below are my suggestions. Other suggestions are welcome.

* ssl_extension_value(text)
* ssl_extension_is_critical()
* ssl_extension_names()
* ssl_extension_count() (If we should keep it.)

- Would it be interesting to have a set returning function which returns all extensions with both the names and the values? Like the below.

$ SELECT * FROM ssl_extensions();
       name       |                        value
 basicConstraints | CA:FALSE
 keyUsage         | Digital Signature, Non Repudiation, Key Encipherment
(2 rows)

- I do not think that ssl_get_extension_names() should return a single row with NULL when the certificate has no extensions or when there is no certificate at all. Returning zero rows in this case should make it easier to use.

- Currently ssl_is_critical_extension() and ssl_get_extension_value() throw an error when the requested extension is not in the certificate.

I am not sure if I like this behavior. I think I would prefer if the code always throws an error when name lookup fails, and never when it is successful. For a valid extension name I think NULL should be returned when it does not exist.

=== Code review: main ===

- Why are X509_NAME_field_to_text(), X509_NAME_to_text(), ASN1_STRING_to_text() and get_extension() not static? None of these are a symbol which should be exported.

- I have not worked with extension myself, but since your change adds functions to the extension I think you need to create a version 1.1 instead of modifying 1.0 in place. If so you also need to write an upgrade script from 1.0 to 1.1. See dblink--1.0--1.1.sql for an example.

- Please break out the comment fix for ssl_cipher() into a separate patch.

- Why do you use pg_do_encoding_conversion() over pg_any_to_server()? pg_any_to_server() is implemented using pg_do_encoding_conversion().

- I think you should use OBJ_txt2nid() rather than OBJ_sn2nid() + OBJ_ln2nid(). You should probably also use OBJ_txt2obj() since X509_get_ext_by_NID() will call OBJ_nid2obj() anyway.

- You should free the extension_name string. I do not think it is ok to leak it to the end of the query.

- I think you need to convert the extension values and names to the server encoding. I just wonder if we need to support data which is incorrectly encoded.

=== Code review: style issues ===

- Trailing whitespace in sslinfo--1.0.sql and sslinfo.c.q

- sslinfo--1.0.sql does not end in a newline.

- I do not think the PostgreSQL project adds authors in the top comment of files in cases like this. Authors get credit in the commit messages.

- I think you can remove the prototypes of all the ssl_* functions.

- Adding the have in "Indicates whether current client have provided a certificate" is not necessary. The previous wording looks correct to my non-native speaker eyes.

- Too much white space in variable declarations in get_extension().

- Extra space before -1 in "X509_get_ext_by_NID(certificate, extension_nid, -1);"

- Please do not initialize variables unless necessary. Compilers are pretty good at warning about uninitialized usage. For example both locate and extension_nid do not need to be initialized.

- Remove empty line directly before ssl_get_extension_value().

- Try to follow variable naming conventions from other functions (e.g. use nid rather than extension_nid, membuf rather than bio, sp rather than value).

- I am pretty sure the variable you call locate should be called location (or loc for short).

- There should not be any spaces around "->".

- The declaration of *extension in ssl_get_extension_value is not aligned properly.

- Remove white space in variable declaration in ssl_get_count_of_extensions().

- Incorrectly alignment of variable declarations in ssl_get_extension_names().

- All the "Returns X datum" comments look redundant to me, but this is a matter of preference.

- The star when declaring result in ssl_get_extension_names() should be put on the other side of the white space.

Andreas Karlsson

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:

Reply via email to