On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 6:06 AM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> In my opinion we can reuse (some of) the existing logic for INHERITS to
> implement "proper" partitioning, but that should be an implementation
> detail.

Sure, that would be a sensible way to do it.  I mostly care about not
throwing out all the work that's been done on the planner and
executor.  Maybe you're thinking we'll eventually replace that with
something better, which is fine, but I wouldn't underestimate the
effort to make that happen.  For example, I think it's be sensible for
the first patch to just add some new user-visible syntax with some
additional catalog representation that doesn't actually do all that
much yet.  Then subsequent patches could use that additional metadata
to optimize partition prune, implement tuple routing, etc.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company