> One of the
> big arguments against bringing it in then (because it worked) was that
> we'd bring in another compile time dependency that's actually larger
> than PostgreSQL itself.

Magnus: I don't see how this is a problem as long as using ICU is *optional*.
On systems with a working strcoll there is no problem with using the stdc
functions (except that ICU might offer more collations).

> Jakob, including the patch in PostgreSQL.app seems pretty reasonable. There's
> is only a small fraction of ICU that is used, a couple of libraries I believe.

Palle: The ICU libraries themselves aren't that big, but the required data
files (also packaged as a dynamic library) are big (around 25MB uncompressed).
However, I'd rather increase the download size by 30% than ship a broken
database.

Best regards,
Jakob