On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> wrote:
>> Well, I'm still of the view that there's little to lose by having this
>> remain out-of-core for a release or three.  We don't really all agree
>> on what we want, and non-core code can evolve a lot faster than core
>> code, so what's the rush?
>
> Being out of core makes it unusable in production environments for a
> large number of organizations. :/

Tough.  Once we accept something into core, we're stuck maintaining it
forever.  We shouldn't do that unless we're absolutely confident the
design is solid. We are not close to having consensus on this.  If
somebody has a reason for accepting only core PostgreSQL and not
add-ons, it's either a stupid reason, or it's because they believe
that the core stuff will be better thought-out than the add-ons.  If
it's the latter, we shouldn't disappoint.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company