On 02/19/2015 08:16 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:21 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakan...@vmware.com> wrote:
Hmm. I haven't looked at your latest patch, but I don't think you need to
pre-check for this to work. To recap, the situation is that two backends
have already inserted the heap tuple, and then see that the other backend's
tuple conflicts. To avoid a livelock, it's enough that one backend
super-deletes its own tuple first, before waiting for the other to complete,
while the other other backend waits without super-deleting. No?

I fully agree with your summary here. However, why should we suppose
that while we wait, the other backends don't both delete and then
re-insert their tuple? They need the pre-check to know not to
re-insert their tuple (seeing our tuple, immediately after we wake as
the preferred backend with the older XID) in order to break the race.
But today, exclusion constraints are optimistic in that the insert
happens first, and only then the check. The pre-check turns that the
other way around, in a limited though necessary sense.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, but AFAICS the pre-check doesn't completely solve that either. It's entirely possible that the other backend deletes its tuple, our backend then performs the pre-check, and the other backend re-inserts its tuple again. Sure, the pre-check reduces the chances, but we're talking about a rare condition to begin with, so I don't think it makes sense to add much code just to reduce the chances further.

- Heikki