On 02/20/2015 10:39 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakan...@vmware.com> wrote:
So, um, are you agreeing that there is no problem? Or did I misunderstand?
If you see a potential issue here, can you explain it as a simple list of
steps, please.

Yes. I'm saying that AFAICT, there is no livelock hazard provided
other sessions must do the pre-check (as they must for ON CONFLICT
IGNORE). So I continue to believe that they must pre-check, which you
questioned.
Hard to break down the problem into steps, since it isn't a problem
that I was able to recreate (as a noticeable livelock).

Then I refuse to believe that the livelock hazard exists, without the pre-check. If you have a livelock scenario in mind, it really shouldn't be that difficult to write down the list of steps.
- Heikki