----- Original Message -----
From: "Hannu Krosing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Nicolai Tufar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Locale-dependent case conversion in {identifier}

             [ ... ]

> could it just be that we store identifiers in lower case, whereas most
others
> (including SQL spec IIRC)have them in upper case ?

That seem to be the case. All the databases I used, automaticaly convert
identifiers to upper case.
And they all do it using ASCII-only conversion.

> Could you try the grant in both databases also in lower case ?
>
> i.e.:
>
> grant select on a to public;

The statement works in both databases. But the problem is that it was
pg_dumpall who created SQL statements with PUBLIC. Why
pg_dumpall does not enclose identifiers in quotes, like:

REVOKE ALL ON TABLE "tamara2" FROM "public";
      insted of
REVOKE ALL ON TABLE tamara2 FROM PUBLIC;
as it does now.

I will make an attempt to modify pg_dump accordingly, and will send a
patch to the list.

Regards,
Nic

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster