On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:26:13 -0500, Philip Warner wrote:
> At 12:12 AM 5/12/2002 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> I am happy with increasing market share so long a development is not
> distorted or current users inconvenienced. We have seen the latter with
> the misplaced announcements.

It seems to me that people were inconvenienced solely because Mark forgot
to CC the right groups and he didn't put the word "7.3" in the right
place in his subject line. Oh, and guess it was disruptive for people who
killfile any piece of email that has quoted text in it...

>  And the former because I am writing this on
> -hackers, rather than implementing dependency-tracking in pg_dump ;-).

so get back to coding already...

>>...lots of stuff deleted...
>>Marketing is very relevant to existing customers.
>
> Good point. Market Share -> Influence ->Corprate Support -> more
> features -> market share.
>
> Gaining market share *is* a natural consequence of improving the
> product;

really? postgresql has been improving by leaps and bounds of the last few
years, but I guarantee you it's been losing market share, and it's losing
that market share to databases without half the features.

> marketing is about convincing people a product has improved,
> even if it hasn't. Advocacy is about telling people about the product as
> it is - and I have no problem with that, with the above proviso.

<snip lots more stuff that basically says marketing isn't all bad, it's
irrelevant too>

well, i think any more discussion at this point becomes a semantical
argument or a flame war, and I've time for neither.

Robert Treat

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster