Bill Moran <wmo...@potentialtech.com> writes:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:39:15 -0700
> Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Nope.  In fact, even the one which was 90% complete (replacing zlib with
>> lz4) completely dropped off the radar.

> Interesting ... I wasn't looking at doing that, rather adjusting the
> decision logic on when to compress, as well as making the trigger values
> configurable so as to open the TOAST logic up to easy user configuration
> at the DB as well as the table level. I figure this will also need enough
> testing to feel like we're shipping with reasonable default values.

I have a vague feeling that we've accreted some code that has dependencies
on the current TOAST behavior.  Unfortunately it's no more than a vague
feeling so I can't tell you where to look; but it'd be a good idea to look
around and/or test, rather than just assume we can let users frob these
knobs to whatever random settings they feel like.

I don't want to discourage you from the idea of making these things
accessible, just suggesting that there may be more work to do than simply
making them accessible.  There may be a need for fairly strict sanity
checking on the values.