On Friday 03 January 2003 15:16, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday 02 January 2003 19:26, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Lamar Owen Wrote
> > > THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN WITH MySQL.
> > Oh?  Do they have a crystal ball that lets them predict incompatible
> > future platform changes?

> No, they just allow for the old format, while making a new format.  At
> least that's the way it looks from reading the docs and a cursory install
> run.  The Linux Magazine article states it in a quite pointed way -- I'll
> grab that magazine when I get back home and post a quote if you'd like.

Linux Magazine, January 2003, page 28.  Article by Jeremy Zawodny.

Too long to quote directly.  Relevant section is headed 'Compatability'.  The
short of it: the on-disk format didn't change between MySQL 3.23 and MySQL
4.0, so you don't need to do a massive export and import process.  You will,
however, need to run mysql_fix_privilege_tables to update the grant tables to
use the new privileges features in 4.0.  Also, and I'll quote this one:
"Moving to MySQL 4.1 will require you to either dump and re-import your data
or run various ALTER commands to take advantage of its new features.
However, if you don't need those features, your existing tables will work
fine."

It's that last sentence that has me perturbed.  It is just so obvious a
feature...
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio