Greg Copeland wrote:

> > > Wouldn't you just use an IPv4 address family when creating your socket?
> >
> > Sorry, I meant only IPv6.
>

> I found this.  It seems to imply that you need different sockets to do
> what you want to do.  You might snag a copy of the latest openldap code
> and look at slapd to see what it's doing.
>
> At any rate, here's what I found that pointed me at it:
>
> slapd compiled with --enable-ipv6 does only listen to the IPv6 connections. I
> suspect this is tested on an operating system that receives IPv4 connections to
> the IPv6 socket as well, although this is not not the case for OpenBSD (nor
> FreeBSD or NetBSD ,IIRC). slapd needs to listen to both IPv4 and IPv6 on
> separate sockets.

I wasn't clear on which OS's supported dual ipv4/6 on the same socket.
Nigel is testing on Linux, so he says that works for both on the same
socket.  Maybe on those other OS's we can do separate sockets on the
same port number --- not sure.  Now that it is in there various OS's can
run tests and we will see.