Jim Nasby <jim.na...@bluetreble.com> writes:
> On 1/3/16 9:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm inclined to leave to_regrole and to_regnamespace alone, though, since
>> they have no numeric-OID path, and they will provide an "out" for anyone
>> who wants to handle nonquoted names.  (Though at least in HEAD we ought to
>> fix them to take type text as input.  Using cstring for ordinary functions
>> is just sloppy.)

> None of the other to_reg* casts do that though, so this would be
> inconsistent.

Good point.  Also, anybody who really does want it like that can still
fall back to the traditional sub-SELECT-from-the-catalog approach.

> Another potential problem for regnamespace is that it doesn't allow an
> entry for the catalog. I'm not sure what the spec says about that, but
> every other function allows dbname.schema.blah (dbname == catalog).

Meh, these types conform to no spec, so we can make them do what we
like.  I see about zero reason to allow a catalog name, it would mostly
just confuse people.

> I started working on a fix, but it's currently blowing up in bootstrap
> and I haven't been able to figure out why yet:
> running bootstrap script ... FATAL:  improper qualified name (too many
> dotted names): oid_ops

Recommendation: don't muck with DeconstructQualifiedName.  That is called
in too many places and we are *not* touching any such API twenty-four
hours before release wrap.

There's no real advantage to that anyway, compared with just doing
stringToQualifiedNameList and then complaining if its list_length isn't 1.