[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>
I have strongly considered doing this, and even started on the project some time ago. (I've stopped now). At first I wanted to add 7.3 and 7.4 features to a 7.2 psql. Then I considered writing a master psql that could handle any backend. In the end, however, I realized that with 7.3 well out the door, it was better to encourage people to upgrade to 7.3 and spend my energies on other things. If there is still a strong interest however, I can easily help out and share what I have already done.
With ever more larger businesses adopting PostgreSQL, and that leading on to more places having several versions of PostgreSQL in operation simultaneously (i.e. development vs production) we're probably going to need to give psql the ability to handle whichever version of the PG backend it happens to connect to.

Marc's suggestion of breaking psql into it's own sub-project makes good sense from that point of view.

So... this stuff is interesting Greg.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift