On 2/8/16 4:39 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
I think having a public git tree, that contains the current state, is
greatly helpful for that. Just announce that you're going to screw
wildly with history, and that you're not going to be terribly careful
about commit messages.  That means observers can just do a fetch and a
reset --hard to see the absolutely latest and greatest.  By all means
post a series to the list every now and then, but I think for minor
changes it's perfectly sane to say 'pull to see the fixups for the
issues you noticed'.

I would really like for there to be a way to do that more often. It
would be a significant time saver, because it removes problems with
minor bitrot.

Yeah, I think it's rather silly that we limit ourselves to only pushing patches through a mailing list. That's OK (maybe even better) for simple stuff, but once there's more than 1 patch it's a PITA.

There's an official github mirror of the code, ISTM it'd be good for major features to get posted to github forks in their own branches. I think that would also make it easy for buildfarm owners to run tests against trusted forks/branches.