On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:03 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This 001 patch looks so little like what I was expecting that I
>> decided to start over from scratch.  The new version I wrote is
>> attached here.  I don't understand why your version tinkers with the
>> logic for setting the all-frozen bit; I thought that what I already
>> committed dealt with that already, and in any case, your version
>> doesn't even compile against latest sources.  Your version also leaves
>> the scan_all terminology intact even though it's not accurate any
>> more, and I am not very convinced that the updates to the
>> page-skipping logic are actually correct.  Please have a look over
>> this version and see what you think.
>
> Thank you for your advise.
> Sorry, optimising logic of previous patch was old by mistake.
> Attached latest patch incorporated your suggestions with a little revising.

OK, I'll have a look.  Thanks.

>> I think that's kind of pointless.  We need to test that this
>> conversion code works, but once it does, I don't think we should make
>> everybody pay the overhead of retesting that.  Anyway, the test code
>> could have bugs, too.
>>
>> Here's an updated version of your patch with that code removed and
>> some cosmetic cleanups like fixing typos and stuff like that.  I think
>> this is mostly ready to commit, but I noticed one problem: your
>> conversion code always produces two output pages for each input page
>> even if one of them would be empty.  In particular, if you have a
>> large number of small relations and run pg_upgrade, all of their
>> visibility maps will go from 8kB to 16kB.  That isn't the end of the
>> world, maybe, but I think you should see if you can't fix it
>> somehow....
>
> Thank you for updating patch.
> To deal with this problem, I've changed it so that pg_upgrade checks
> file size before conversion.
> And if fork file does not exist or size is 0 (empty), ignore.
> Attached latest patch.

I think what I really want is some logic so that if we have a 1-page
visibility map in the old cluster and the second half of that page is
all zeroes, we only create a 1-page visibility map in the new cluster
rather than a 2-page visibility map.

Or more generally, if the old VM is N pages, but the last half of the
last page is empty, then let the output VM be 2*N-1 pages instead of
2*N pages.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company