I also wonder whether the patch should add explanation of OR-clauses
handling into the READMEs in src/backend/access/*

Oops, will add shortly.

The patch would probably benefit from transforming it into a patch
series - one patch for the infrastructure shared by all the indexes,
then one patch per index type. That should make it easier to review, and
I seriously doubt we'd want to commit this in one huge chunk anyway.
Ok, will do it.

1) fields in BrinOpaque are not following the naming convention (all the
existing fields start with bo_)
fixed

2) there's plenty of places violating the usual code style (e.g. for
single-command if branches) - not a big deal for WIP patch, but needs to
get fixed eventually
hope, fixed

3) I wonder whether we really need both SK_OR and SK_AND, considering
they are mutually exclusive. Why not to assume SK_AND by default, and
only use SK_OR? If we really need them, perhaps an assert making sure
they are not set at the same time would be appropriate.
In short: possible ambiguity and increasing stack machine complexity.
Let we have follow expression in reversed polish notation (letters represent a condtion, | - OR, & - AND logical operation, ANDs are omitted):
a b c |

Is it ((a & b)| c) or (a & (b | c)) ?

Also, using both SK_ makes code more readable.

4) scanGetItem is a prime example of the "badly needs comments" issue,
particularly because the previous version of the function actually had
quite a lot of them while the new function has none.
Will add soon

5) scanGetItem() may end up using uninitialized 'cmp' - it only gets
initialized when (!leftFinished && !rightFinished), but then gets used
when either part of the condition evaluates to true. Probably should be

     if (!leftFinished || !rightFinished)
         cmp = ...
fixed

6) the code in nodeIndexscan.c should not include call to abort()

     {
         abort();
         elog(ERROR, "unsupported indexqual type: %d",
             (int) nodeTag(clause));
     }
fixed, just forgot to remove

7) I find it rather ugly that the paths are built by converting BitmapOr
paths. Firstly, it means indexes without amgetbitmap can't benefit from
this change. Maybe that's reasonable limitation, though?
I based on following thoughts:
1 code which tries to find OR-index path will be very similar to existing
  generate_or_bitmap code. Obviously, it should not be duplicated.
2 all existsing indexes have amgetbitmap method, only a few don't. amgetbitmap
  interface is simpler. Anyway, I can add an option for generate_or_bitmap
  to use any index, but, in current state it will just repeat all work.

But more importantly, this design already has a bunch of unintended
consequences. For example, the current code completely ignores
enable_indexscan setting, because it merely copies the costs from the
bitmap path.
I'd like to add separate enable_indexorscan

That's pretty dubious, I guess. So this code probably needs to be made
aware of enable_indexscan - right now it entirely ignores startup_cost
in convert_bitmap_path_to_index_clause(). But of course if there are
multiple IndexPaths, the  enable_indexscan=off will be included multiple
times.

9) This already breaks estimation for some reason. Consider this
So the OR-clause is estimated to match 0 rows, less than each of the
clauses independently. Needless to say that without the patch this works
just fine.
fixed

10) Also, this already breaks some regression tests, apparently because
it changes how 'width' is computed.
fixed too

So I think this way of building the index path from a BitmapOr path is
pretty much a dead-end.
I don't think so because separate code path to support OR-clause in index will significanlty duplicate BitmapOr generator.

Will send next version as soon as possible. Thank you for your attention!

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teo...@sigaev.ru
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/