On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The huge_pages feature is fairly new, and as I recall the intention is
> that other operating systems will be supported as we get patches for it.

BTW about other operating systems:

It looks like FreeBSD is already clever enough to use super pages as
it calls them[1][2].  This is something like Linux's 'transparent huge
pages' except apparently somewhat more transparent.  Though I wonder
if there is some advantage in adding a MAP_ALIGNED_SUPER flag to the
mmap request.

It looks like MacOSX can do it with VM_FLAGS_SUPERPAGE_SIZE_ANY but
such mappings are not inherited by child processes.

[1] https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2012-June/039018.html
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIxny-n_Mg <-- a really good talk
about this stuff!

--