Thomas Munro <thomas.mu...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> On 2016-04-22 20:39:27 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
>>> While doing that I discovered that unpatched master doesn't actually
>>> build on recent NetBSD systems because our static function strtoi
>>> clashes with a non-standard libc function of the same name[1] declared
>>> in inttypes.h.  Maybe we should rename it, like in the attached?

>> Yuck. That's a new function they introduced? That code hasn't changed in
>> a while....

> Yes, according to the man page it appeared in NetBSD 7.0.  That was
> released in September 2015, and our buildfarm has only NetBSD 5.x
> systems.  I see that the maintainers of the NetBSD pg package deal
> with this with a preprocessor kludge:

> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql95/patches/patch-src_backend_utils_adt_datetime.c?rev=1.1

> What is the policy for that kind of thing -- do nothing until someone
> cares enough about the platform to supply a buildfarm animal?

There's no set policy, but certainly a promise to put up a buildfarm
animal would establish that somebody actually cares about keeping
Postgres running on the platform.  Without one, we might fix a specific
problem when reported, but we'd have no way to know about new problems.

Rooting through that patches directory reveals quite a number of
random-looking patches, most of which we certainly wouldn't take
without a lot more than zero explanation.  It's hard to tell which
are actually needed, but at least some don't seem to have anything
to do with building for NetBSD.